You might want to disable the laptop keyboard at some stage. There can be several reasons for it. Some people like using a proper external keyboard and they want to disable the laptop keyboard to avoid pressing any key accidentally. But there can be other reasons too, like spilling any liquid on it and then trying to clean.
If you want to disable specific keys while playing a game then using group policy or a third-party application is an easy solution, it is described below. Or you can go for disabling all the keys simultaneously, for both these situations we have described methods for Windows Laptops and MacBooks.
Disabling Keyboard on Windows Laptop
Solution #1 – Using Device Manager
Disabling laptop keyboards using Windows Device Manager is a temporary solution for disabling the keyboard. If you need to clean your keyboard from coffee or getting rid of other debris then it’s the best solution. Following these steps will enable you to temporarily disable the keyboard on the laptop in a matter of time.
- Open Start Menu and type Device, Manager. By pressing enter a pop-up screen will open with a list of devices on your laptop.
- Search for Keyboards in the list and click the arrow button on the left to drag down the keyboard list.
- After clicking, the list will show available connected keyboards to the laptop. Both built-in and external keyboard lists will be shown.
- Right-click on the built-in keyboard like Standard PS/2 Keyboard in Dell Inspiron 15 and click on Uninstall to disable the keyboard.
- A warning will pop-up for confirmation of disabling keyboard, click OK.
Disabling the laptop keyboard using Device Manager is a temporary process. Whenever you restart the laptop, the operating system will automatically enable the laptop keyboard. If you are looking for how to disable a laptop keyboard permanently then go for the next solution.
Worth a Read:
Best Gaming PCs
Best Touch Screen Laptops
Best 2 in 1 laptops
Solution #2 – Using Group Policy Editor
Using Group policy editor is an easy process for understanding how to disable my laptop keyboard permanently. Before disabling your laptop keyboard permanently, you will have to undo the Device Manager disabling process and reinstall the keyboard drive (if you have followed solution 1 first). To prevent automatic enabling of keyboard with every restart this one is the best option. Following these steps will help you disable the keyboard permanently.
- Open run by pressing Window key + R, and write “gpedit.msc”, a local group policy editor will be open.
- On the left panel click on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > and click on Device Installation Restriction.
- A number of options will appear in the list, right click on edit “Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings”. Edit the option and change the setting to “Enabled”.
- Click on Apply and then OK.
Close the registry and then repeat the Device Manager Disabling Process in Solution #1. After doing this, now the system will not automatically enable the laptop keyboard with every restart. The keyboard will be permanently disabled and now connecting an external keyboard is not a problem at all.
Solution # 3 – Using Third-party Applications
Windows operating system provides third-party applications that help you to enable and disable the keyboard easily with just a click. If you are looking for how to disable a laptop keyboard in windows, these applications will help you how to disable a laptop keyboard when needed. Some applications provide specific keys and mouse disabling systems as well.
KeyFreeze is a standalone software that only provides web setup. An easy install process, with just a single click, can disable the mouse and keyboard simultaneously. The only drawback that KeyFreeze has, is that it disables both Keyboard and Mouse with one click and doesn’t disable a single device at a time. By clicking Lock Keyboard & Mouse option, both devices will be disabled. By pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on the disabled keyboard can unlock Keyboard & Mouse.
This one is an advanced third-party application that enables you to lock the keyboard and mouse with easy steps. The software provides a variety of features like password protection, locking mouse-specific buttons, and keyboard-specific keys. To completely disable the keyboard, slide the scroll to right, and lock the keyboard completely. Making changes is easy in the software by using a password.
c) Device Manager
Third-party Device Manager application is available that provide you the same function as built-in operating system Device Manager. The only difference they have is, third party Device manager doesn’t completely remove the keyboard drivers but only allows you to disable the keyboard with just a few clicks.
How to use Laptop as Monitor
Why is my Laptop So Slow
Disabling Keyboard on MacBook
If you are using macOS and you want to know how to disable the laptop keyboard then following these easy steps are an easy solution. A little trickier but the simple process can give you access to disable your keyboard. The mouse can be disabled easily through accessibility from system preferences. To disable the keyboard using Terminal Hash code and using third-party application is an easy solution.
- To disable MacBook built-in keyboard write the following code in Terminal.
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/
- The terminal will require password from you and by giving password and pressing enter the system will disable the keyboard.
- If you want to enable the keyboard, use the following code in the Terminal.
udo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext
Using Third Party Application – Karabiner
A third-party application in macOS, can enable and disable build-in keyboard with in few clicks. Karabiner provides variety of options from changing the function of keys to disabling keyboard in just few clicks.
If you want to disable your laptop keyboard temporarily then using Windows system built-in Device Manager tool is a good option. Permanently disabling the laptop keyboard require tricky steps like group policy editor or registry. Third-party applications may not provide you the full access or they may lack some features in permanently disabling built-in keyboards.