You might want to disable laptop keyboard at some stage. There can be several reasons for it. Some people like using a proper external keyboard and they want to disable laptop keyboard to avoid pressing any key accidentally. But there can be other reasons too, like spilling any liquid on it and then trying to clean.
If you want to disable specific keys while playing a game then using group policy or third-party application is an easy solution, it is described below. Or you can go for disabling all the keys simultaneously, for both these situations we have described methods for Windows Laptops and MacBooks.
Disabling Keyboard on Windows Laptop
Solution #1 – Using Device Manager
Disabling laptop keyboard using Windows Device Manager is a temporary solution for disabling keyboard. If you need to clean your keyboard from coffee or getting rid of other debris then its best solution. Following these steps will enable you to temporarily disable keyboard on laptop in a matter of time.
- Open Start Menu, and type Device Manger. By pressing enter a pop-up screen will open with list of devices on your laptop.
- Search for Keyboards in the list and click the arrow button on the left to drag down the keyboard list.
- After clicking, the list will show available connected keyboards to the laptop. Both built-in and external keyboard list will be shown.
- Right click on the built-in keyboard like Standard PS/2 Keyboard in Dell Inspiron 15 and click on Uninstall to disable the keyboard.
- A warning will pop-up for confirmation of disabling keyboard, click OK.
Disabling laptop keyboard using Device Manager is a temporary process. Whenever you restart the laptop, the operating system will automatically enable the laptop keyboard. If you are looking for how to disable laptop keyboard permanently then go for the next solution.
Solution #2 – Using Group Policy Editor
Using Group policy editor is an easy process for understanding how to disable my laptop keyboard permanently. Before disabling your laptop keyboard permanently, you will have to undo the Device Manager disabling process and reinstall the keyboard drive (if you have followed the solution 1 first). To prevent automatic enabling of keyboard with every restart this one is the best option. Following these steps will help you disable keyboard permanently.
- Open run by pressing Window key + R, and write “gpedit.msc”, a local group policy editor will be open.
- On the left panel click on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > and click on Device Installation Restriction.
- A number of options will appear in the list, right click on edit “Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings”. Edit the option and change the setting to “Enabled”.
- Click on Apply and then OK.
Close the registry and then repeat the Device Manger Disabling Process in Solution #1. After doing this, now the system will not automatically enable the laptop keyboard with every restart. The keyboard will be permanently disabled and now connecting external keyboard is not a problem at all.
Solution # 3 – Using Third party Applications
Windows operating system provides third party applications that help you to enable and disable keyboard easily with just a click. If you are looking for how to disable laptop keyboard in windows, these applications will help you how to disable laptop keyboard when needed. Some applications provide specific keys and mouse disabling system as well.
KeyFreeze is a standalone software that only provide web setup. An easy install process, with just a single click, can disable mouse and keyboard simultaneously. The only drawback that KeyFreeze has, is that it disables both Keyboard and Mouse with one click and doesn’t disable a single device at a time. By clicking Lock Keyboard & Mouse option, both devices will be disabled. By pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on disabled keyboard can unlock Keyboard & Mouse.
This one is an advanced third party application that enables you to lock keyboard and mouse with easy steps. The software provides variety of features like password protection, locking mouse specific buttons and keyboard specific keys. To completely disable the keyboard, slide the scroll to right and lock the keyboard completely. Making changes is easy in the software by using a password.
c) Device Manager
Third party Device Manager application is available that provide you the same function as built-in operating system Device Manger. The only difference they have is, third party Device manager doesn’t completely remove the keyboard drivers but only allow you to disable the keyboard with just few clicks.
Disabling Keyboard on MacBook
If you are using macOS and you want to know how to disable laptop keyboard then following these easy steps are an easy solution. A little trickier but simple process can give you access to disable your keyboard. Mouse can be disable easily through accessibility from system preferences. To disable keyboard using Terminal Hash code and using third party application is an easy solution.
- To disable MacBook built-in keyboard write the following code in Terminal.
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/
- The terminal will require password from you and by giving password and pressing enter the system will disable the keyboard.
- If you want to enable the keyboard, use the following code in the Terminal.
udo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext
Using Third Party Application – Karabiner
A third-party application in macOS, can enable and disable build-in keyboard with in few clicks. Karabiner provides variety of options from changing the function of keys to disabling keyboard in just few clicks.
If you want to disable your laptop keyboard temporarily then using Windows system built-in Device Manger tool is a good option. Permanently disabling the laptop keyboard require tricky steps like group policy editor or registry. Third party applications may not provide you the full access or they may lack some features in permanently disabling built-in keyboard.